View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #192
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What about the next story?

“Letters of Cold Fire”

Originally published in 1944 for Weird Tales, and anthologized in three Manly Wade Wellman works, as well as one Cthulhu anthology (Acolytes of Cthulhu).

It’s in the John Thunstone series, a sort of supernatural detective. A scholar, playboy, and investigator.

Back in 1976, an editor asks Wellman for anthologizing a a story of his for Cthulhu Anthology. Wellman writes back that only The Terrible Parchment specifically references the Mythos elements. He writes of the Lovecraft influence is not huge, not like other writers, but certainly is there. He lists about 4 or 5 stories that were inspired by Lovecraft. Although he claims not to have corresponded with Lovecraft, it doesn’t seem like that’s the case, as evidence of small letters are elsewhere. (It would be easy to forget that you wrote a few letters back in the mid 30s 40 years later in the mid-70s at the end of your career). (I can’t remember all of my work e-mails 40 days later sometimes  )

I don’t have access to Acolytes of Cthulhu or the other works, and I can’t find it online, so no Letters of Cold Fire for now, sorry!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote