View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #40
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Autumn, questions. Is the Amazon book thing just a "Buy It Now" kind of deal? It looks it. Instead of it being an auction.

Also, the bookswap thing. Still not sure i understand it. But I have put a book on my "shelf". So if someone wants it I have to send it to them and that's that? I'm losing money on this though if I'm paying shipping.
So what happens now? I collect points and trade points in for something?

If that's true wouldn't it be easier just to go buy the thing now without paying shipping costs? Cause I don't see this as trading. I think I'm interpreting this wrong.

Amazon is not an auction right. If you buy stuff on Amazon, you know how they have a "Buy it New or Used for $X.XX"? Your stuff would be listed there. You would list it at a condition and a price. They give you shipping, I think it's 3.99 for books, and then take a fee if you sell it. There's no cost to list stuff so you can just leave it up there 'til it sells.

With PBSwap, yeah, you do pay the shipping up front when people request things, and then you build up credits. If you request something with a credit it costs nothing, since they're paying the shipping to you. And you can transfer credits between sites, so you can use a book credit to order a CD or DVD (though DVD credits transfer at like a 3:2 ratio I think).

So it's not a moneymaker, especially if you don't use credits (though if you use them wisely it can be. I got stuff like the Special Edition Lord of the Rings DVDs in exchange for mailing out old paperbacks). But if there's stuff you might want in the future, or stuff that you're having a hard time deciding whether to get rid of, it's a good choice. I found I could rid myself of stuff if A) I knew someone who wanted it was getting it and B) it meant I could get something even cooler or more relevant. Like I had a hard time just getting rid of music, even stuff I don't really listen to. but if I could swap it for new music, at least theoretically, I was able to get rid of it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote