View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 01:26 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is the buyout $91 million or whatever the rest of his contract is? Why exactly would he pay the Rockets money back to release him?

Please don't take this as a defense of John Wall the player. I think he is league minimum/ mid level exception guy for the rest of his career once this contract expires. I think he knows that which is why he would fight for every dime. The Rockets took on that contract less than a year ago. It was no secret how bad it was. They can do what the Wizards did and slap a 1st rounder on the deal to send him away,

Ultimately, it is not my money. If the Rockets owner wants to pay him to stay home, so be it. I do think it is incredibly unfair to paint Wall in a bad light for not taking a buyout. Unless we find out that he has not refused to play for the Rockets.

from the local beat, via NBCsports

Quote:
Wall doesn’t want to give up his $47.4 million player option next season let alone his $44.3 million salary this season.

So, yeah, it'd be $91m to buy him out.

And yeah, players can and do pay some of the money back if they would rather play than sit (Kemba Walker reportedly $20m, Blake Griffin reportedly over $13m, are a couple recent examples ).