View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #3012
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I've been playing again for the last month or two, and I think the inability to "over-recruit" to account for expected early entry losses is my biggest pet peeve. I just had a season where I had 4 early entrants on top of my Seniors and despite cutting the max number of walk-ons prior to the season to bump up the amount of scholarships I could offer, I still ended up with a roster the following season with only 8 scholarship players.

I think the ideal would be to offer additional rides and pay some kind of consequences at the end of the season if you don't have the expected number of spots. Next best would be to re-jigger things such that there were still quality prospects available at the end of the season so you aren't scrambling trying to fill open spots with 1 or 2 star recruits.
I'm not a huge fan of the over-recruiting idea. It just seems too hard to implement from an AI perspective, and would lead either to a lot of solid recruits getting dumped back on the market in April or a ton of transfers. We all know some pushing out the door happens, but it's not an every year thing, and really shouldn't be one in the game. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of 2 separate signing periods with a couple extra recruiting stages getting added right at the end of the season.

I haven't played with a high-prestige team in awhile, but from what I recall I do think the leaving AI could stand to factor in playing time a little more. I know you have your Marvin Williams who leave without ever starting, but they're rare, and the times in game I can remember getting screwed was when my 2 post guys would both leave EE or otherwise, their SR backup would graduate, and then the FR that played 4 minutes a game and I was counting on to start declared as well. But honestly in your case Dawgfan, when you lose 4 EE's plus multiple contributing seniors you should take a step back. The Kentucky/Calipari machine is a huge aberration, and even there he's been forced to play walk-on point guards a significant amount the past couple years.

One other idea I had - when recruiting, would it be possible to have a customizable region? I'm playing as VMI right now, and my natural recruiting area is VA, NC, MD, WV, with some of Eastern KY/TN and even southern OH less than 200miles away - which are spread out across East/Southeast/Midwest. When I play as a lesser New England team, I love to check the New England states and New York first - I'm not really interested in expanding to Maryland or even PA/NJ at first. Maybe this could be a distance thing - show every recruit within 300 miles or something.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote