View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #27
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_nihilist View Post
I registered here, because I saw that the developer of this game was frustrated over mediocre Steam reviews - which I totally get.

If players of the previous versions have problems to adapt - that is one thing. But to to not recommend this game.because a feature is different from what you are used to is not a fair assessment and not very helpful for newer players.

This game is brilliant in and of itself, no matter if a FOF #8 or #7 exists. Reviews about 9 should asses FOF 9 and not be a comparison.

I don't know the previous versions and I can't relate to these opinions. It does not help anybody either way. If you want to complain write the developer directly.

Fair enough, except I think a lot of comparisons to earlier versions can simply be re-written as critiques of the new version. To wit:

"I am unable to find an easy way to print out rosters. Other games in this genre allow you to print things."

or

"Rosters and stats are huge, it'd be nice to print them out to analyze."

But that removes all context, like how this very game series used to have that function. Every game relates to every other game and can be compared to each other, including prior games.

Folks, like the dev, who ask reviewers to consider changing their possibly hasty, knee jerk negative review to a positive are not saying you have to review the game in isolation. They simply want reviews to reflect the game after they give it a good shake, not as an initial impression response.

The question then becomes how much time is appropriate? And then answer appears to be the modern gaming goldilocks question: Play too "much" of the game and give a thumbs down? Get the question of "why did you play so much of a game you didn't like?" Play too "little" and give a thumbs down? Then you hear "you didn't play enough, idiot".

Point is, there's a middle ground where you don't base all discussions around constantly comparing the current version to the old version and instead focus on the game on its own. That discussion typically dies down pretty quick, in a matter of months, but it's an important discussion to be had for folks who have spent years playing these games. Skip past it, ignore if it isn't relevant to you as a new player. Eventually more will be geared to you and less of "which screen is the AP awards on now? I can't find it anymore."
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote