View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #46
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Well? Any early adopters?

I've played about 15 hours or so.

I'll open by saying it's not a bad game. Definitely not as bad as some (most?) of the reviews make it sound. Most people would have preferred Fallout 5 and it's definitely not that. The fact that it's not Fallout 5 seems to be influencing a lot of the reviews I've seen. Some of the less mainstream reviewers are trying to see if they can out-meme everyone else in their review, while even some of the mainstream reviews are fairly poor.

With that said, also definitely not a great game by any means and it struggles a lot of times to be good. Right now it's filling a nice niche in my gameplay rotation as a relax and explore kind of thing. In that sense I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

You can solo most of the content in the game, but not everything. You don't necessarily need a group to do the public quests in the game, but you do need others in the area to help you out. Most of those I've done so far are solidly done, but nothing groundbreaking. The daily quests tend to be the fetch and return type and those every bit as boring as they are in every other game that's ever done them.

The game world is hands down the best ever in a Fallout game. Seriously, the size, scope, and detail of the world easily surpasses 3, 4, and New Vegas. The world is the star of the show here and it being set in my home area makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

No real NPCs does hurt the game. I get why they did what they did, but I think it would have been much better for the game overall if they found a way to incorporate NPCs into the game world (even on a very limited basis) to help bring more life to it and mix up the gameplay a bit.

Base building a crafting are every bit as well done as they are in Fallout 4. You can plop down a camp and build just about anywhere. Whether or not what you build survives depends on location and the resources you put into it. On that note, I thought I ran into my first major bug last night, but it's actually just a quirk based on the game's design. My camp disappeared and after googling a bit I discovered what happened was it was put in storage because the server shard (or whatever they're calling them for this game) already had a camp where my camp was. Because of that I had to move my camp, check the storage tab in build options and could simply place my home back down free of charge. Very annoying in that it's not explained anywhere in the game what happened or what to do, but not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.

If you really want this game to be Fallout 5 and aren't willing to have an open mind it's probably a 3/10 type game. If you can look past that and accept that it's a survival game set in the Fallout Universe then it's probably a 6.5 to maybe 7.0/10 type of game. With some work in the coming months Bethesda could get this up to a 8 or so, but they're going to have to accept the fact that some of their design decisions were wrong.

PCGamer's review is probably the most fair out of the online reviews I've read so far:

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-review/
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote