View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

We trade RB Russell for a pick at the top of the 4th round. We're eating about 5m in dead money for this year and next because of the cap out last year, but we save about 12m each year in salary. Had to be done.

Continuing to diagnose our roster a bit... it's not really rocket science, our talent on the defensive side is just very pedestrian. Even DT Slatus, who we spent the #2 pick on, has really only settled into being a 70 guy with 50 endurance. Very good, but not a dominant gamechanger or lynchpin. MLB Zimmerman is very good, and an injury that knocked him out for the last few weeks and playoffs probably doomed any lucky run chances we had. Our LB group in general could be considered very good, but I think we're going to lose Sean Martin for financial reasons after this year. Our CB talent is just flat out bad, and we have no identity or fit focus back there to try to get good production out of poor general ability. FS Joey Shelton is a keeper, and we'll need to figure out how to do that. SS Darrin Bodell is a big time cohesion piece, but I worry we're not getting enough talent/fit from that spot.

QB Prescott is clearly trending toward wanting a supermax contract in his next deal. Backup Jimmie Lincoln is a different looking creature with a very high scramble bar (Prescott is a 0 there), who could give us a different look and continues to be content to sign really cheap deals since he's not playing. That kind of switch would really only help us financially for a couple years, but I'm slightly intrigued by getting a little running yardage from the spot as well.

TE Spano and WR Chellgren, with now RB Fairfield, give us enough skill position talent. We're going to lose our number two WR James Berlat during this FA period. He's been productive for us, but I think he's replaceable. We are getting to a point where enough of our late round/UDR types are still sitting around that our next guys up don't have to be rookies with no experience or continuity.

The OL is pretty good. LT Harry Turnbull clearly boomed or something last camp, he's just better than the guy we drafted which is a lucky break. Our one question on the line comes down to thinking about a different skillset for the C spot. Randy Purrington just isn't a run blocker, despite being very strong everywhere else. If we see a guy with more of a running game bar profile, we might have to give it a shot.

We may end up cycling through some of our DL talent here as well. DE Allen Abram has had a good run with us, I'm just not sure we can justify his next contract ask. DE Ashton Ward, who I thought we got a great deal on with an extension last year, now has a 0 for pass rush strength and his starting to look old and mediocre, even as a one dimensional guy. Might be eating a little to give us more cap breathing room there.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote