View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:51 AM   #1
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

12-team Playoff? A "What-if-Sports" Dynasty to Rectify the Scourge of the BCS

This newly proposed 12-team playoff format that came out last week got me curious about what would happen if I used that selection criteria to go back and replay through the national championships, beginning in the 1998-99 season (the first BCS season).

I'll be using the "what if sports" simulator to simulate the games. The 12-team field will be chosen using what is expected to be the approved format later this summer when the AD's reconvene to finalize this proposal. I'll use the final BCS rankings from each season it was in effect (1998 thru 2013), then the final playoff committee rankings for 2014 thru 2020. As proposed, the six highest ranked conference champions will get automatic bids, with the four highest ranked conference champions getting the top four seeds (and first round byes.) The remainder of the field will consist of the next six highest ranked at large teams. Independents cannot get a first round bye.

I will not be editing rosters for injuries and opt-outs, as I don't have the time or resources to take something like that on. So for instance, in 1998, I know that Florida State's top two QB's were out with injuries, and they had to go with third string QB Marcus Outzen in the BCS Championship game against Tennessee. This would obviously make a significant difference in the probable outcome of that game.

I know there's been some speculation on the sites for the quarterfinal games. There are many AD's who feel it's impractical to play the quarterfinal games and semifinal games within the bowl structure, and the prevailing wisdom seems to be having the first round and quarterfinal games on the home field of the higher seeded team. The semifinals would still be in two of the New Year's Six bowls, and the national championship on a neutral site. So that's how I'm going to roll in this dynasty.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote