View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #3510
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I'm going to limit myself to the game mechanics here;

For the first four days or so I didn't think we had a chance, I was just playing to extend the game. The villagers had, potentially, two open scans a day that could be immediately announced. I don't understand why the villagers didn't just organise a scan by scan process every day. It's a whole lot more powerful than a normal seer role where the seer had to remain concealed. Meanwhile we had a total of 5 kills. Then we have to rely on the swordsman. We were all poor so what chance did we have? I thought the game would be over in 6-7 days, but tried to tie up the seers and target rich people just to try and put up a fight.

IF Chief had come up with his plan before we were told we could pool our bids the game would have been over in a day or two. As it was we were lucky that the two coincided so we could use Chief's plan to incriminate people. Even more lucky the people incriminated were the ones forming a COT. (I actually thought KWhit, Anxiety and SnDvls were a third faction (I later suspected Ardent) the way they all seemed so sure of each other on day one).

People seemed to just skirt over what the philosopher could do (Hoops gave it away to me) and didn't seem to consider the chance that someone was converted. I've been terrified of the philosopher ever since as he was the main person who could damage me once I was the tribune.

As st.cronin pointed out the wolves made a load of errors that dragged the game out longer than it needed to have (My time zone certainly didn't help). One day nobody bid on the assassain resulting in Mustang getting him and taking out Ant. So instead of 16:5 we were 17:4 or something. Then I had a kill but went to bed telling people to make my kill for me (buried in a super-long post) and nobody noticing it. So that was another kill down the drain. I don't know if we could have used the philosopher more than once but if we could then we should have been targetting him instead. The lack of participation from certain parts helped us at the start but the lack of arrests was actually counter-productive as we needed executions every day to have a chance.

I think the game was actually well balanced but can understand that the lack of information would drive anyone mad. It certainly would have done with me. But I think both sides were disorganised but, probably for the first time, that disorganisation cost the villagers more than the wolves. The fact that I was normally the first to post on any given day probably helped us a lot because it allowed me to set the tone for the day. There was also a huge amount of room for false reveals at the end, I think st.cronin intended that. There are players who would have had a field day. However no-one made use of that which is a pity really.

Chief I thought you were onto me several times. I remember one panicky post I made (when you said you'd taken Ardent but it turned out it was me) that I thought gave us totally away. Also I revealed "our" (gramm's) theory about the post count as soon as Ardent accused me of being a wolf. I'm sure someone was going to pick up on that. My team mates must be utterly sick of my "OH BUGGER; we're doomed!" posts because I think I made about two a day.

I've said to st.cronin that I think the game was very well put together and, considering the size, complexity and frustrating disappearance of several people very well run.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote