View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Saturday evening and Sunday morning were spent in good part watching some online training needed for me to get my coaching card. There is a one day training that's to happen on a Saturday either toward the end of October or the end of November but the online training part is mandatory. The first part was title "Respect and Sport" and was comprised of some 5 or 6 sections each with 5 clips between 4 and 12 minutes in length. While it had been sort of adapted to sports, it was more of a generalist teaching about being a good leader of activity. It treated of harrasment, intimidation, violence and such. I thought it was very interesting and felt I could use some of it as a sensei in my dojo. Most of it was pretty much common sense though, stuff that *I* take for granted, for example what not to do and how not to communicate with people you are leading. I got done with that on Saturday evening and moved on to the second online training.

That second online training is from Hockey Canada and is called Hockey University. It's geared toward teaching individuals how to become good recreation hockey coach. Again, some pretty interesting stuff although quite basic and not all applied to my situation. For example, I got a good laugh from their recommendation to kneel down in front of my young players when I give them instruction so I get to their level. You know, because during a practice, when I put my skates on, I'm soooo much taller than them. HAHAHAHAHA most of my players are about my weight and it's only because I'm 5'11" that I'm taller than them. Hockey players age 15 to 17 are pretty big in full gear.

I spent part of the afternoon putting together a somewhat formal first meeting speech for Sunday evening. I was taking this pretty seriously... (I still am btw )

FM