View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #42
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'd also think it'd be a positive motivating factor, that higher level teams are interested in having him on their reserves. Not that he needs it, of course. But every little bit helps.

Oh, I absolutely agree, it's a big boost on the ego, of both the son and the dad! Not that the son really needs it but the dad doesn't mind the attention paid to his son.

He was seriously miffed when he was passed on for last year's Midget A's selections. I sorta knew this year, with the many good goalies coming up from the Bantam level, that last year was when it was played for him and playing at the A level. He would have liked to have a shot this year but from the start of training camp, it kinda was clear to me that he would never even get a shot. It played into my getting involved with his team, especially after the crappy year he had last season. We joked a few times last year that he was making miracles behind a bunch of cones playing defense. I think it kinda had an effect on his enjoyment of the game and I felt bad about even making the joke. Subconsciously, I wanted to make this year an enjoyable one for him. Most if not all my decisions so far have been made with that in mind, from how I put the team together, the kind of kids we have, to how I'm managing the kids, to how I'm structuring the practices. Coming back home from team practices last year, asked about how he felt about practice, I remember him saying just too often that it was "just a Midget B practice, guys don't care, they just fool around". It made me sad cause I knew he was showing up to, yes, have fun, but also work hard while having fun.

That's one thing I'm very happy with the team so far this season. Sure we're very early into the season but even at that point last season, there were already signs of some kids just not caring about hockey. By February, the coach was pretty much cancelling practices left and right.

FM