View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't have a good answer for how to walk it back and cut down on the cycle, but maybe calling them out on their bullshit and making them feel a little ashamed helps just a little.

As opposed to calling out the people who watch it all and want even more?

Media responds to demand, because demand = revenue.

I have specific questions about the case I happened to be interested in. Who was the guy, what was his basic motivation, what's the general backstory here (bad relationship? bad grade? utterly random?), and yes I was curious to know the number & type of weapons involved. And that's probably about it. I've managed to satisfy that interest with 15-20 minutes worth of reading since the details started to emerge, no need to Google any of it, it's all been touched upon in stories that readily came into my view from a headline aggregator site. I've seen exactly zero seconds of TV coverage of any kind.

Wanna bet there's a (small) ratings spike for cable news last night though? Or what a leading #hashtag yesterday was? Point being that I don't have to be part of the demand to recognize that it exists.

Pointing the finger at the media instead of the viewing public is a mistake afaic.