View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #820
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
According to the video that everyone is lauding over, there is NEVER any situation to EVER talk to a policeman. Seems like that advice is pretty cut and dry. If, instead, the video offered a more reasonable approach and saying never talk if you are accused of a serious crime or may have committed a more serious offense, I wouldn't have the issue I do with it.

Did you watch the video, or stop it a minute or two in? They go over exactly why even what you think is a nice and innocent statement can still land you in hot water. You have every right to waive your 5th Amendment protections, just as you also have the right to invoke them. If you feel in your situation that answering questions is fine, that is your right. It should be (but as you mentioned isn't) that if you decide to invoke your 5th Amendment right in a respectful manner, that shouldn't be viewed by a LEO as 'being difficult' and subject to punitive damages. By treating someone invoking their rights in that way, aren't they just trying to create an environment to keep you from using a constitutional right?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote