View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #65
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Great catch! Forgot that he didn't get all the way down the red steps, but I wonder what the bar is supposed to represent. It was interesting that on the TV Casta Mesa (also the name of the bar) was shown to be engulfed by wildfires (indicating Hell).

From what I gather from other boards...Costa Mesa is between San Diego and LA. It's pretty much a weigh station. Having only been to LAX, I can't vouch...but once again, it's a place in between (I won't speculate on LA or San Diego being heaven and hell).

The fires obviously infer hell. There is much speculation as to whether the airport beacon is heaven...I'm thinking it's the way home (from which Tony can't get to just yet).

The conference was Heaven, and he couldn't get it, in fact, he needed to leave the hotel (which oddly enough looked like the same place he woke up in).

I like this episode because the symbolism isn't so over the top like the prior episodes, and not as creepy (any one recall when Tony is in the dream, knocking to get in the old house, and Livia or something like her is coming down the steps). One had a sense that this was about helplessness...just like when at the end, not long before looking longingly out the window at the beacon (home), he puts down the receiver of the phone, he cannot connect with his family (I really had a sense that he was contemplating jumping out the window - like Gene taking the "easy way out").

Remember, for Tony, family is the biggest thing in life...he is on the other side of the coast, without an identity, and can only be with his family via telephone (his wife is just as unsympathetic as Carmella) -- the line about this being his fault because he works too much -- is gotta be an inference that he's with the mob...and just like telling Gene that he couldn't go to Florida (making Silvio tell Gene), Tony was saying the same thing to himself...he won't break free.

Ultimately, Tony isn't dead yet, but by the time he wakes, he may just wish he was.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote