View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

We've just dropped off both of our sons to different colleges in different states (oldest is a Junior, youngest now a Freshman). There's definitely a mourning process as the family dynamics have changed. It hit me as we were moving them in, It's hit my wife much harder today. So many different emotions...

But on top of the typical aspects of college transitions, my wife & I are very seriously considering downsizing & moving from New Jersey to Florida. So there's worry that we make sure they don't feel abandoned. One of my older son's roommates is in the same situation - his parents just moved half-way across the country as his Dad got a new job. His comment to me was that his family left him. I would hope our boys never feel that way - it's usually the other way around. So we'll need to work extra hard to continually communicate to them about the move and the reasons why. We will also make sure they know there will be space for them for the breaks & Holidays.

So, yeah... in addition to wearing the Empty Nest title, I'm also trying not to feel guilty about the next phase of our lives together.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote