View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
His comment to me was that his family left him. I would hope our boys never feel that way - it's usually the other way around. So we'll need to work extra hard to continually communicate to them about the move and the reasons why. We will also make sure they know there will be space for them for the breaks & Holidays.

I'm gonna throw something in here, just fwiw, a sort of "something to watch out for" thing or whatever.

Last year, during the frat parent's weekend thing, all sorts of interesting conversations but one really stood out to me.

I was on the smoking porch chit-chatting with one of the guys and in the conversation he mentioned that his parents weren't there for the weekend, that they'd come the previous weekend instead (which was Easter).

He got a sort of thousand yard stare and after a couple moments he wistfully said "that's cool, it meant more to my mom to be here for the holiday, which is fine ... but I wish they'd have picked this weekend instead, 'cause that would have meant a lot more to me".

Like I said, just fwiw, it just felt like a lot of insight into the importance of remembering the kid's priorities on some of this stuff.

(Not saying you wouldn't or anything obviously ... just felt like something that could be useful with the situation you may be going into)