View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #161
Comey
College Starter

dola--

We suffered another pair of losses since that first post, getting crushed by defending champion Xavier (we are 2-3 against them now since I started) at their place, 88-63. I don't allow players to declare early, so I have to put up with a pair of guys they got as freshmen that are absolutely unbelievable (as evidenced by them going to Kansas and Kentucky to win the national championship last year). We lost to them again in the Big East championship, 86-82.

However, we are a #1 seed, at 30-4, put in the Midwest. Then I see who the #2 is:

Xavier.

Dammit. (This is a coding issue for Gary, and something we've discussed. I get it. Just frustrated I had to go through them again.)

We beat Binghamton badly, then get by Tennessee in OT. We outlast Georgia Tech in the Sweet Sixteen, 72-65, while Xavier blows out everyone.

And then begin to blow us out in the first half, as we are beset by foul trouble. My starting point guard and my small forward (and breakout leading scorer, he had multiple 25+ games for since the last writing) are both on the bench for half of the first half. Down eight in the final minute, my sophomore stud, Tim Owens, goes on a tear, and gets us to within two.

From there, the game was close throughout. Somehow, with about four minutes left, we scratched out a five-point lead. That became eight, and then it hung out there. I decided to start double-teaming their star SF, LeBron Blackwell. That works: He goes 6-15, but missed his last four shots.

We ice it from the line; only a desperation three made it seem closer than it was, 77-71.

With that, we punched our ticket to the Final Four, where we'll face Western champ Gonzaga (Florida and Maryland are in the other matchup). We are the only top seed there. as the others are 3, 4 and 2, respecitively.

For this weird team, it's been a magical run. We are considered 89% favorites to beat Gonzaga, which is surprising. Hopefully we take it down.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote