View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #157
MarkBGregory
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Coming into year end, I have a player who sits 35th in the singles rankings. He is playing in a CH+ right now and will likely do no worse than make the semifinals. I haven't analyzed the points the three guys in front of him are set to lose, but it is like he will be within 25 points of 32nd, with one final week of CH tournaments before the end of year hiatus.

Is the play to try to get him the last tournament in to get into the top 32 or tank to stay out of the top 32?

I think it depends on how ready you think the player is for top 32 tennis.

If you get inside, you'll then be required to play all the major tournaments and potentially risk losing vital experience by getting beaten early on in all of them. Alternatively, you're pretty much guaranteed a seeding at all the Slams, which generally sees you through at least two rounds, and if you push on to the top 16, you'll be guaranteed seedings at the Masters events too.

If he's not ready for going up against the big boys week-in week-out, then maybe it's better to stay outside the top 32. That way, you can pick and choose the bigger tournaments you think he'll do best in (on his preferred surfaces) and more than likely still find yourself inside the top 32 and with more chance of being competitive the following year.

Like I say, I feel it depends entirely on the player in question.
MarkBGregory is offline   Reply With Quote