View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
You know? there is another possible answer that i wouldn't like at all, but possible:

- The "offensive playcalling" and "defensive playcalling" ratings are just an X factor to be applied to the dice roll when calculating the good/bad outcome of a play. Not having anything to do with how smart is the virtual coach choosing one play or another from the gameplan.
Yes, I've always assumed this was the answer.

More specifically, the range of possible outcomes for any given play is a column of numbers with the best for the offense (worst for the defense) being at the top of the column--that is 'high rolls.' The offensive coach rating is added to the die roll, while the defensive coach rating is subtracted.

There pretty much have to be 'result tables' in the game, and this concept would fit perfectly--much as it does in board war games, for example.

To follow the wargame analogy, there could be 'column shifts' instead of, or even in addition to, die roll modifications. An example would be an 'H' runner whose results are taken from column 'H'. This column averages out to (say) 3.5 yards per carry. Column shifts would raise or lower this column average by 0.1 per carry. All the other ratings in the game could be expressed as either die roll modifications or column shifts, with the defensive ratings further modifying the result.

The 'Second and Ten' series of replay games uses the column shift concept to adjust ratings at the beginning of the game, and the adjusted results columns are used for the individual game. That could be in FOF, too.

It could be that when Jim says a rating has a 'minor impact' it could be a +1 to die roll on a column with forty possible outcomes, for example.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW