View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Name one other industry where you are exposed to customer service longer than the airlines?

It's going to be exposed, by someone just by the sheer numbers of people that work through the system. On a 13 hour flight, with 300 people on it, it only takes 1 person to have a bad exchange. From the ticket counter, to security, to boarding, to the plane ride, to baggage claim, it's a non-stop service encounter. Except that along the way safety comes before service, and sometimes you can't get what you want, or something doesn't go the way it should.

The sheer scale and mathematics make it nearly impossible for everyone to be happy all the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be better, but I think that all this is lost in the expectations and not thought much about.

I don't expect near perfection. On feedback, option is toss out the bottom 5-10 percent, over time a trend will emerge which will airlines to keep and reward the high performers.

I think a good equivalent is Disney/other theme parks, they are open more than 12-14 hours and they are pretty good -- from their parking team, to retail store associates, to their actors, to hotel staff etc.

My guess why they are consistently good is screening & hiring of right candidates, training, customer centric mantra etc. I'm thinking most of their customer facing staff are not paid more than airline equivalent either.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote