View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #46
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

In an effort to get caught up with the reporting quickly, and due to the fact that I've lost some of my scoresheets while cleaning house, I'm going to skip reporting on Rounds 8 and 9, and just go straight to the standings after Round 9 for each group, the Round 10 schedule, and the bracket play outlook for each group. Starting with Group A:

Group A Standings After 9 Rounds

1. Arizona (6-3, +12)
2. Minnesota (6-3, +12)
3. Boston (5-4, -3)
4. St. Louis (4-5, +6)
5. New York Mets (4-5, -15)
6. Oakland (2-7, -12)

Group A Round 10 Schedule

Minnesota at Boston
Oakland at New York Mets
Arizona at St. Louis

In every single way, Arizona and Minnesota are tied going into round 10. Same record, same run differential, and they split their 2 meetings in group play, each winning by 3 over the other. Surely something has to give in round 10, as both have tough games. Minnesota has been a surprise all tournament long. If Minnesota can beat Boston and Arizona loses to St. Louis, Minnesota wins the group. On the flip side, if Arizona beats St. Louis and Boston beats Minnesota then Arizona would win the group (the more logical scenario I would think). Another scenario could see Boston beating Minnesota and St. Louis beating Arizona. Then we would have a 3 way tie for first place and it would come down to tiebreakers. Now, if Arizona and Minnesota both win, then it would depend on who wins by more. If they both win by the same amount, then I'll have to dig deep into tiebreakers to figure out who wins the group. Oh boy! The one thing we know for sure is that no matter what, Arizona and Minnesota have clinched a spot in the championship bracket, and a win by Boston will give them the 3rd spot in the championship bracket out of Group A.

Now, as far as the wildcard goes, St. Louis is in a good position, if they can beat Arizona. All 5 wildcard teams are 4-5, but St. Louis is the only one with a positive run differential, so a win over Arizona would put the Cardinals in a very good position. It's even a possibility that St. Louis could end up in 3rd place with a win over Arizona and a Boston loss to Minneosta. However, if they lose, that opens the door for the New York Mets, who just need to beat Oakland to get back in the mix. Oakland is just playing the spoiler role now as they have already been eliminated from the championship bracket and will be playing for a high seed in the consolation bracket. Whew! A lot to take on, and guess what, this isn't even the most confusing group!
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote