View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #128
revrew
Team Chaplain

Commissioner Gordon: The Denver Broncos have traded the 28th selection of the 2028 draft to the Des Moines Dragons.

Todd McShay: Bam! Exactly what we predicted! And you know who Des Moines is targeting with this trade …

Commissioner Gordon: With the 28th pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select defensive end Elias Reese, University of Iowa.[/b]

Mel Kiper: Let me tell you what you're getting with Elias Reese. You're getting a locomotive. This is a guy who fires up the engines, and then he railroads right over anyone who gets in between him and the quarterback. He has elite size and strength, surprising speed, and we don't even know how high this guy's ceiling is. Sure, he slipped down some boards, including mine, because he's still just lightning in a bottle. He doesn't have all the moves he's going to need at the next level. Like a locomotive, he doesn't change direction very fast, and running backs can get by him. But if you want someone to run over and through anything in his way, it's Elias Reese. And if he's coached well, learns well, the sky is the limit for this kid. I'm hearing the Dragons had to give up the 2.2 and 2.6 to get him, a hefty price to be sure, but if Reese can maximize his immense potential, it's all going to look worth it in the end.

The Dragons traded their third round picks, the 3.2 and 3.4, to Kansas City for SS Aaron Newhart (47/47), KC's leading tackler over last 3 years, with 9 picks over the same time span. He brings youth and depth to the Dragons' secondary and makes sure Des Moines doesn't miss a beat if SS Mitch Plante or FS Herb Dallesandro miss any time with injury.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 99th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver Xavier Bradley, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: It's good to see the Dragons focusing on the playmakers they need. Bradley's a big, 6'3, 220-pound receiver who is very good in the open field. He will need to polish his technique and route running to succeed at the next level.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 100th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select guard Cedric Grundy, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: I see Grundy as a reach in the fourth. There were better guards available, if only the Dragons were willing to draft outside of Iowa.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 130th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver Robbie Thompson, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: If you've ever scored a touchdown for an Iowa school, come on down! The Dragons will take anyone, so long as you're from Iowa.

Mel Kiper: If you're criticizing the Dragons for this pick, I've got to disagree with you. I like Thompson in the 5th; in fact, I like him more than the other Hawkeye receiver the Dragons took in the 4th. Robbie Thompson has good speed, looks the ball in over his shoulder very well. He may not have been the go-to guy at Iowa, but I see him with more upside at the next level.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 163rd pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select center Aaron Alexander, Iowa State University.

Mel Kiper: Good hands, quick feet. Alexander isn't overwhelming, but he's a solid NFL prospect who should find a roster spot somewhere. Even if this kid wasn’t from Iowa, if the Dragons were drafting for best talent available, they nailed it with this pick. I listed Alexander as the 4th best center in this year's draft, and there's no way he should have lasted to the 6th round.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 192nd pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select running back, Jimmy Perot, University of Tennessee.

Todd McShay: Perot? I have to admit, I'm really surprised he fell this far. I was expecting him to go 4th or 5th round, not 7th. But he's from Tennessee.

Mel Kiper: He went to high school in Sidney, Iowa, Todd. Way down in the southwest corner. And this is another solid, value pick for the Dragons. Perot is surprisingly shifty, makes defenders miss. The biggest drawback is that at 25 years old, he has a lot of miles on those tires.

Draft list:

1.7 WR Louis Forbes (36/66)
1.28 Elias Reese (38/54)
4.3 WR Xavier Bradley (20/34)
4.4 G Cedric Grundy (11/54)
5.2 WR Robbie Thompson (17/42)
6.3 C Aaron Alexander (18/57)
7.2 RB Jimmy Perot (18/18)
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote