View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #147
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons' Post-Training Camp Report
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

After two, dismal, losing seasons in Des Moines, there is nonetheless a surging (and warranted?) enthusiasm stirring at Dragons' training camp. Fielding FOUR first-round draft picks taken in the last two years will do that: a major shot in the arm of both talent and optimism.

Talking to coaches and players, however, the new youth infusion is more than just hopes and dreams.

Position coaches are raving about last year's NFL defensive rookie of the year, DE Elias Reese, who has come back from the offseason in great shape and sporting new moves and techniques that weren't in the repertoire last year.

Dragons star safety Mitch Plante, meanwhile, has revealed he thinks this year's top draft pick, FS Gerald Barnes, is already "light years ahead" of where Plante was as a rookie. Assistant coaches affirm that Barnes may already be the most physically talented player on the team, and if he picks up the mental side, he has the makings of an NFL All-Pro.

Fellow rookie draftees, OLB Bob Clinton and second-rounder CB Lee Ross, are reportedly pushing their way into the lineup.

And on the offensive side of the ball, second-year WR Louis Forbes is wrapping up an even better looking camp than last year.

The biggest question of camp, however, has been how QB Dakota Corriveau would bounce back from a disastrous season in which he threw 10 more interceptions than touchdowns. So far, the answer is encouraging. Without the specter of Nathaniel Witt (who signed with Tennessee) looming over his shoulder, Corriveau entered the camp with an eye-opening amount of resolve and command. Coaches are saying his grasp of the offensive playbook is noticeably improved, and the youngster has run the huddle like last year's woes were but water off a duck's back.

Will Corriveau's confidence persist into the regular season? If it does, coupled with the infusion of young, top-shelf talent …

Dragon fans, let me just say, the whispers are growing in volume and intensity. There's a phrase buzzing about the locker room. I hate to print it, in fear I might jinx it, but the players are starting to say it out loud. Are you ready for … "Worst to first"? Because right now, the Dragons look like they believe it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote