View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #68
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Something weird is happening. The game is going too fast…?

To be more specific, there’s too much progress each frame. I’ve been investigating the incomplete pass problem, and it’s not a ratings or formula problem. The problem is the ball. It’s moving too fast.

Here’s a good example. The QB just threw the ball from the upper left of the picture. In the next shot, you can see it’s been a few frames, and the ball is nearing the pass location. (the yellow spot)

You wouldn’t expect to try to make the catch yet. I would imagine that’s going to be the next frame or 2.

Well……..

That’s the next frame. He’s already missed his chance.

Something is going on here, and I don’t really know what. I have a feeling it wasn’t happening before, but the engine was in such sad shape that it’s impossible to know. Somehow I need to slow the ball down without giving the defense too much reaction time.

I have to slow it down, without slowing it down.

sheesh.

I have a few ideas, but no clue if they will work.
  1. I could try to reduce the movement per frame. Keep the frame rate, but have everything travel less distance per frame. Basically slow the whole game down. That doesn’t sound like a great idea, but it’s possible.
  2. Slow the ball down. I’d have to do something about player spacing and reaction time. This feels like a trap, though. It probably would fundamentally change the game, which is just starting to feel pretty good.
  3. Change how passes are caught. Right now, catch attempts are done in the player AI. That’s not the fastest thing in the world. Maybe if I can take catching out of the AI and put it in a collision system, there’s some opportunity there to do…..something? I don’t even know what this would look like. Something having to do with colliders or triggers.
  4. Use some predetermination system to decide if anyone is going to catch the ball, before it gets there. Then I’d just need to auto-assign the ball to the player when he reaches the intersection point. Feels like cheating, though.

This is going to take some thought. I really have no idea what’s the right thing to do here.