View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 PM   #326
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Williams is bat shit crazy, but she is right. Young people would do a lot more with that money than people who are already wealthy.

Another angle that I have yet to hear mentioned is if college was free people spending the money they are putting aside for college funds could spend it on other things. We put away about 20K per year for our kids college. If we didn't have to do that I would spend that money on projects for the house, travel, maybe get a vehicle a year newer, etc...

The classic responses to this from the right make me crazy. They always claim people knew what they were doing, etc...
If college were free there would be no incentive for individual colleges to do better. If college was 100% covered by the government it'd just lead to private schools upping their tuition even more than they do now. I'm all for state governments spending more on public schools, but I hope no one is paying $700/ month on loans to an in state school.

Student loan debt and the declining worth of "a college degree" have been topics of discussion since I was in school in 2005... loan companies and "schools" pull some shady stuff, but there's still way too many people out there paying for private school educations that have a negative EV. I was lucky enough to have somewhat wealthy parents & be accepted to a number of schools... and I chose to go to the in state university because it meant I would graduate with zero debt. (There's also probably way too many employers out there who require "a degree" without any thought as to where it came from, but that's a slightly different tangent...)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-31-2019 at 12:01 AM.