View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #26497
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll simply drop this in here for anecdotal purposes.

The trip across GA, AL, and MS (to deal with Will's belongings still at Ole Miss) was interesting.

It's about 400 miles each way, and I'm a multiple stops guy -- coffee and bathroom needs -- and with Alabama being one of the more masks-everywhere states I had my doubts about how it would go for me.

Short version: I managed to do anything I had to do, not always at the location or timing I'd have preferred but within reason, without a mask ever leaving my pocket.

Truck stops were definitely my go-to, and no matter what rules (store or government) might be in place, the max amount of masks I saw was 50%. And at least half of those were either being worn as headbands or neckguards.

The biggest hassle for me was Alabama coffee pots (unclear if that's state or store policy) and the choice of delaying til a better place OR waiting on intolerably slow lines that formed the length of one place as an employee slowly poured a cup at a time.

I went out of my way to avoid spending where feasible with any business that appeared to be voluntarily trying to impose masks on customers, but
the trip was definitely doable without ever using one.

I did purposefully avoid doing anything involving retail in Oxford, MS, knowing in advance that they have aggressive city rules in place. I had no issues, but kid+wife+wife friend from nearby got kicked out of a restaurant by the cops for trying to finish their meals after 10p. (local business curfew)

That one falls on the head of the restaurant though, still taking orders at 930p, serving food at 950p ... fuck the customers who foolishly thought they'd be able to finish their meals.

Mostly, I tell the story as some reassurance that -- at least in the states mentioned, traversing them without dealing with masks IS completely doable.