View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #500
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Well, sort of; the intent was to show all the purported right wing stereotypes of Obama. Few informed, educated conservatives believe any of those allegations about Obama.

No, it was to show right wing stereotypes.

I'm glad you did state this though because it brings me to my point. Informed, educated people of either party can get the cartoon. It's not brain surgery but it requires a bit of thinking to see it. It would be a mistake to consider it something that reflects the views of the educated conservatives.

But..

Lets back off and think of the majority of the people. What would those not willing or able to figure the cartoon out think?

Lets call the groups X and Y.

X thinks the cartoon is dead on, funny and reflects the truth.

Quote:
As for the New Yorker cover, I thought it was funny and laughed out loud when I saw it. I think one reason there hasn't been much said on the liberal side about it is because satire is rooted in truth, and the Dems are scared sh*tless something like this could resonate with the public -- better to ignore it and hope it fades away.
Sorry poster, I'm not attacking you but you said what I meant so well.

Y thinks the cartoon is over the top, right wing based and somehow will hurt the candidate thus was not a good idea.

Quote:
On the other hand, a bunch of people have pointed out that if the cartoon reinforces some misguided notions about Obama, those people probably weren't going to vote for him anyway.
This is only part of your quote but again, there's not much for example on this thread and I'm not going web surfing to find a quote which says what you just said here. Consider this representative of a general feeling not a personal one.

Now, given these two groups, which ones do you think are the right wingers? Thus my point.