View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Dola - along the lines of what Radii mentioned: I find it impossible to "let idle thoughts by," and end up focusing on them. It makes the effort frustrating rather than relaxing for me.

I would say that is a reason to want to meditate more, or it would be to me. Over time, that is a thing you may become better at through practice, and the benefits from that can carry over into the rest of your life in a positive way.

An aim of meditation to me has never been for any sort of immediate benefit. Its the long term benefits that aren't even related to future meditation sessions that I'm after.

If I am looking for immediate relaxation, then I'm going to go lie down and set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes and practice deep belly breathing. Breathing into your diaphragm is the only way to activate the parasympathetic nervous system which is the opposite of the system that controls stress and fight or flight sensations (with related hormones). I don't care what i'm thinking about, i can be watching something on my phone while i do that, as long as i'm breathing properly, it'll work. https://yogainternational.com/articl...dote-to-stress seems useful/accurate/informative on this.

Meditation, to me, is a totally separate act with a totally separate aim.

Last edited by Radii : 02-15-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote