View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #1243
RainMaker
General Manager

There's probably a lot of reasons why things have changed.

The media likely plays a role. But I think that's a result of what the public wants. People love digging through the killers life. Seeing what his political affiliations are, scouring his manifesto, etc.

Weapons are more powerful and have been pushed harder. The NRA shifted toward anti-government and white nationalist rhetoric trying to persuade people that they need to stockpile weapons for the impending purge or black family moving into the neighborhood.

I don't really believe TV or movies plays much of a role, but I do think society glorifies guns and violence to a point that it does. Your neighborhood police officer is playing army man and putting Punisher logos on their weapons. There's a weird fetish some people have with militarizing everything. I saw a commercial for "tactical" sunglasses the other night. There's an entire industry built around selling weapons and gear to fat losers so they can feel manly.

And lastly, I think there are people who just like it. It's an event. As seen by the fact some of these recent shooters are livestreaming their sprees. The Romans had Gladiators as part of their culture. We have school shootings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote