View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #1201
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks to thc for 'hosting' the Anil Cup again this year, which has recently started. And apparently expanded to a 32-draw because reasons?

WTC Finals
Argentina vs. Sweden, Grass

Argentina ekes out a narrow 3-2 win to defend their world championship, and the hero isn't who you'd expect. Tuesday's rubber brought a four-set upset by Acke Kjaerstad over Nicolas Perez, and the no. 1 needed some serious heroics to battle back against Algot Hakanson on Thursday. 2-6, 6-7(4), 7-6(5), 6-3, 6-1. Hakanson had a chance to win it all for Sweden in that third-set tiebreak, but it all went downhill for him when that didn't happen. Then with the tie level at 2 points apiece, Tobias Velilla claimed his second win on the week over Kjaerstad and Argentina was crowned once again. Heck of a final to conclude the year's frivolities at the top level.

WTC Playoffs

** Switzerland vs. Korea -- 17th-ranked Korea has been struggling about in Level 2 for quite some time now. That's unusual for a nation that boasts the #6-ranked player in the world … but their second-best is Bum-kun Jo (113th). Stop laughing over there, I don't write these names, I just report them. It proved a fatal weakness here as the Swiss stay up 3-2, Jung getting two wins but the Koreans were helpless in the other three rubbers.

** Italy vs. Serbia - Fans of 7th-ranked Italy, who made the SFs just two years ago, are disgusted they even have to play this match. Serbia meanwhile is making their second straight promotion attempt, both times after losing to Romania in Level 2. This time didn't go much better than last season's skunking by Russia, a 4-1 victory for Italy as once again the status quo is maintained. The top players for both nations are all over the hill, so I don't see either one of them having a particularly bright future.

** Romania vs. Denmark - I hear that there is angst in Romania over the failure of favourite son Odimos Csollang (10th) to show up for this pivotal playoff tie. And the thing is, looking at his form I think he would have been well served to do so. In his absence, their third straight attempt to promote was struck down 4-1, and Denmark goes up instead. Relying as they do on aging Isa Solheim (94th) and little else, I don't see the Danes sticking but for a nation that's struggled to stay at Level 2 even recently this a fantastic achievement for them.

** Russia vs. Czech Republic - 11th vs. 13th here in a tough matchup of two nations that both should probably stay up, but only one gets to because of the draw. Russia cleans house 5-0, and with players like Stachovsky (35th) and Hudobin (36th) - although they are headed in opposite directions - they're really an overpowered group here and best nation in the playoffs. However, they've lost nine straight Level 1 group ties over the past three years. Eeek. The Czechs kind of stink right now, so it's no shame to see them go down … but behind improving players Viktor Dzubak (86th) and Lubos Rucklov (114th) they should eventually have a shot at bouncing back up. I'm legitimately curious to see how they do in Level 2 next year, after having a five-year run of Level-1 futility snapped here (they made the SFs in '63, but it's been ugly since then).

Final WTC Standings

1. Ireland - 2599
2. Argentina - 2469
3. United States - 2176
4. Sri Lanka - 2157
5. France - 2035
6. Sweden - 1985
7. Italy - 1941
8. Spain - 1916
9. Mexico - 1856
10. Netherlands - 1845

There seem to be a lot more have-nots milling about these days. For example, 1980 pts would get you 10th just last year; good enough for 7th right now. Just a mathematical oddity that stuck out to me, this year is a real outlier historically in that sense. If Argentina runs the table again next year they should take over the #1 spot from Ireland, while Sri Lanka continues to jockey with the United States for the third position. Sweden is worth watching as well; this will probably be the best year for the Hakanson/Kjaerstad combo in terms of peak playing performance.

Next year, we are in Group 2 which of course is the group of death. Grrr. Everybody is Top 10 or better. USA (3rd), Sri Lanka (4th), Italy (7th), Netherlands (10th). Fortunately the last two at least are not what they once were; Angloma, Haas, and de Jong are all in decline. So we should be able to get through it again and battle with the Americans for the top spot in the group.

Coming Up …

The results of the Anil Cup and our regularly-scheduled end-of-year spam. We'll have lots of new faces to talk about at the top of the sport, and some more ratings and dubious predictions to present.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-22-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote