View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #1235
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Glad you're able to play again Christy. I haven't had any problems with it at all. There are … other issues. I've delayed this announcement until I was totally sure; the long and the short of it is that the 'hiatus' is not going to be able to be a temporary thing. My time with this game is done.

If anybody wants to know the why, check out the FOFC Creators thread in Off-Topic, but my purpose is not at all to promote that here. I just can't justify the time investment it takes to do the writeups anymore. Initially I thought I'd just keep managing my players and at least do brief summaries of what they do, but even that won't fly. The key time periods of the day when I need to be checking up on things, doing training sessions, scheduling tournaments, etc. in order to manage at a high level are times when I now should be doing other things instead. A choice must be made, and this is what has to go. I long ago jettisoned pretty much all my other superfluous projects - I was in a MP league (NCAA53 for those who remember it) that I set aside a year ago for example. I hung onto this because I wanted to see it through to completion, but that's no longer a realistic hope. As an online game, I can't just save the current state and resume the dynasty later, and I've done too much in RR to be satisfied with subpar management of my players. If I can't invest the time required to do it at a high level, it's time for me to walk away.

I do regret that I won't be able to see how the Chittoor-Fitzpatrick-Smith competition fares, or how high Chiba/Guha might have gotten in doubles. There are some interesting cases in the up-and-coming Anilophiles that I would have enjoyed tracking, the current Perez-Wentz jockeying is pretty compelling, and so on. But wishing does not make horses. Right now I'm in the process of getting some training sessions done for my players, and will enter them in tournaments for the next couple weeks before pulling the plug and firing them in the next few hours so that others can benefit from their service should they choose to.

If anyone wants to take over this thread and keep things updated, have at it - otherwhise it will simply die the death of neglect that all projects eventually do, having served its purpose. I've enjoyed doing this for the past three and a half years, and I can count on one hand the number of written dynasties on any game in any forum that have been as satisfying. Much like Anil Mehul's playing career, an end must come to all things - for me and the journey of the Sri Lanka Legends, that end is now. Really the only lasting thing that I'd change is to have started it sooner so that I could have properly documented the early years of Mehul, the last years of Gorritepe, and so on. .

Sincerest thanks to all who have faithfully read and participated.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote