View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #465
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I agree on the money aspect. I don't think you can provide that for every school.

And this may be insensitive...but would the cost really justify it? I think someone threw around the figure of 5B or so to cover every school. Wouldn't it make much more sense to put that money toward oh, medical research? How many kids die each year from something like CF compared to school shootings?

The $5B number is misleading because it wouldn't be one central fund paying for everybody (if that was the case $5B would be a drop in the bucket). It's more a case-by-case thing for the schools to decide, and for them, it's the cost of one more employee. For some it might make sense (and many already use them), and for others, it might not.

I don't get the resistance to this. It seems a little inconsistent. People want to dramatically alter the gun landscape in this country, but hiring a guard, no, that's crazy talk and too expensive. I think maybe the gun debate is so emotional, and so important to people way beyond this incident that they're worried that any other proposed measures might silence the gun debate some. I don't think that'll happen though. Of course, nor will there be any dramatic changes in the gun landscape either. But, crime generally is going down. There's going to be these huge public debates over ultimately nothing, when it's changes in society and culture, not the idiots in Washington, that is making the country a safer place.

Last edited by molson : 12-29-2012 at 07:46 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote