View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #137
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
this is Lost 2.0 to me. A show that starts out with a really interesting survival / rescue story that gets abandoned in no time. I'm sure it won't be long before crates of food just start falling out of the sky.

I get that it's not what either show is really about, but I wouldn't mind just a tad more effort to make it more believable.

I don't get this comparison at all.

Is this show going to be just about "survival"? Absolutely not. That would be an incredibly dull show if it centered around raiding Wal-Marts for food, ciphoning gas from broken down cars, getting water, finding medical supplies, etc.

The show certainly can't ignore the fact that survival is key and the characters are living in a very dangerous world and it hasn't. I think it's hit the right not on that.

Just looking at this last episode alone, I think it hit all the notes. The episode wasn’t about zombies, but rather about family and brotherhood; the ties that bind and the ugly mistakes that corrode through them. This is what the comic is about and what the show should be about.

You need the zombies to always be present. You need that threat. You also need a level of believability and I think they have that. They may not think of every little thing and there may be some gaps to increase the dramatic tension (i.e., going to Atlanta and not the 'burbs for supplies), but I think they've done a fantastic job.

Again, look at last episode. There was one prominent walker, the one that was eating the deer. It was particularly horrific, with its grayed flesh and rotted mouth, but it serves a purpose beyond horror. It’s a transition to introduce new a character - Daryl - and to show both his strength, and the others’ potential weaknesses. It’s another indication of the genius of the show. It also succeeds by showing us the little things — people immediately and efficiently cannibalizing automobiles for parts, bartering with each other for tools and weaponry, using primitive methods to keep themselves clean — all ways that this little society is forced to regress in order to continue surviving. Finally and most interestingly, the burgeoning gender dynamics at play provide yet another layer of dramatic depth.

Obviously people watch/read stories for different reasons and are always looking for different things, characters, themes, a certain level of realism, what have you. This is the kind of stuff I love from my zombie yarns. and so far this show has delivered in spades.

I used to hate Sunday nights. End of the weekend, no more football, work on Monday, but not these last three weeks and not these next three either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote