View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #652
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I want to see the best 4 (or 8 or 16 or 32) teams. I don't care about winning a division. What's absurd is that somehow the system ranked the team that "everyone knew" was the best team at #4. Their #4 seed would be favored against any other team in the country. Indeed, they were favored in both playoff games against the supposedly-better higher seeds.

Oh, and by the way, they beat those higher seeds, thus justifying what "everyone knew," but no one was willing to say. Yet some folks want to leave the best team out because of some dumb construct.

And while I'm ranting about the stupidity of stuff that's just accepted in college football, I fully expect Georgia to lose by 13 or so on December 1st, but let's enter into a fantasy world where there's another thriller like last year's, with Bama winning in overtime. After such a game, we'd expect UGA to drop to #8 or so from #5. That's right, all you people seem perfectly fine with a setup where #5 loses to #1 in a tight game and somehow is deemed worse. If the 5th-best team is only an eyelash worse than the 1st-best, the rankings should be adjusted to make them #3 or #4. It's insanity to say that they somehow "got worse" by outperforming their ranking, but it happens all the time. Stoopid.

Yes, I realize that some view it as "best performance." Those people gave us BYU in '84 and I will never forgive them for that. Stoopid.

What's the point of the season if the results don't matter?

I get what you're saying, but doesn't your method defeat the purpose of the season? Imagine if in the NFL last season they just decided that the Bills weren't one of the top 6 teams in the AFC. So they gave the Bengals the playoff spot instead. Or that the Saints were better than the Vikings and deserved the bye and 2 seed. That's essentially what you're asking for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote