View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #656
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You mean like Auburn?

UCF- Auburn - Google Search

I hate the didnt want to be there argument, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm not sure this is a "problem". Let's take a look at 2017 & 2018's mid-major du jour UCF: Yes, they are riding a 23-game winning streak - good for them! But who have they played? The best teams in the their conference are who, Houston and Cincinnati? Hardly programs that stand out among the better programs in the Power-5 conferences. And who did they play out of conference the past two seasons? S. Carolina St, FIU and Pitt this year and FIU, Maryland and Austin Peay last year.

If UCF really wanted to break into the CFP they would do what it takes to get blue-blood programs on their schedule like Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State. And yes, doing so would almost certainly require at best a "neutral-field" game and at worst something lopsided like a road game or an away-home-away arrangement. Win a game against one of those programs while going undefeated and they would make the CFP. But they are content to do what they do and reap the benefit of winning a bunch of games and talking about disprespect.

I think they're a good team, and if the CFP were expanded to 8 they would deserve to be in. Unless/until that happens though, if they (or any other mid-major program that has a big year) really want to claim they deserve a chance in the 4-team CFP they need to schedule some elite teams and prove they have earned that shot.

The problem with that line of thinking is how far in advance schedules are made. Earlier this week, for example, Clemson finished off their non conference schedule for 2030 and 2031. If you go back in time 12 years ago Alabama was a 6-7 team who hadnt played for a national Championship in 14 years. Clemson was an 8-5 team that hadn't won a conference championship in 15 years and a national championship in 25 years.

Meanwhile Pitt was 2 years removed from being a conference champ

I get that not all deals are done 12 years out, but it can be tough to predict. To your other point Neither Clemson nor Alabama wouldnt do a 3 for 1 with UCF. No juice in that squeeze
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote