View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #59
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha vs. Atletico Reguenos, 9.14.11
Dry, 73
Odds: 13-2, 11-4, 2-5

Not the best time for three days between matches. Dudu and Sanchez will start at the wingers due to a tired midfield -- Dinarte would rest too if I had another decent option, but they're injured. The visitors drew in their first match as well, and while they finished 5th last year, have been picked 15th by the media.

Our early play was not encouraging. They got the first good chance in the 12th minute, well wide right, but our makeshift midfield is doing poorly at the possession game and I switch again to counter. 20th, and we gift them an own goal to truly make this a disastrous start. A cross into traffic right in front, and it deflects of one of their players, then off the side of Carmo's legs, and rolls in. 0-1. That's two own goals out of the three we've allowed this year(one of two if you're counting league only). Four minutes later, Gomes takes it away from one of their defenders and is all one in front, super chance, but just weakly bounces it right at the keeper. Ay caramba.

35th minute, as we've at least managed to contest possession better the last several minutes, Sanchez goes down. Nelio comes on, hopefully he'll give us a spark. Another shot by Gomes at the end of the half, but easily saved. A solid, if disjointed half except for the fluke goal. Decio comes in for Dinarte -- not optimal by a long shot, but our captain is out of gas.
Nelio picks up his second yellow in as many matches in the 57th minute, and while we have consistently outplayed them by a bit for the last 30 minutes or so, we've nothing to show for it. No chances at all. They work for a nice shot from a decent right angle a couple minutes later, saved fairly easily by Bernardes. They had a great chance a couple minutes later, a floating cross perfectly on target for a header right in front, but Bernardes came up with the save on the bouncer. Very fortunate we were there.

We bring it right back down, two man game with Coronel and Gomes, excellent pass by Gomes to lead him into the area ... and his cross-angle shot is closest to the corner cone. ARGH!! We have three shots. All of them clear-cut chances. We haven't come close to scoring on a single one of them. They just miss from range as they come back down and set up.

Costa finds Coronel again in the 66th minute, not as good a chance but the same result. From mid-area, left of the goal he sends it well over the bar. A whole lot of nothing, and then we end the game in style. 89th minute, free kick from a ways out, nice cross by them and they execute a cross-angle header, well-placed and no chance. 0-2 it is. Game over.
We win the possession battle at home, and get outshot 10-4.

Andorinha 0 : 2 Atletico Reguenos

Best 3: Claudio(7.2), Costa(6.9), Gomes/Nelio/Estrela(6.8)
Worst 3: Coronel(5.8), Sanchez(6.3), Decio/Bernardes(6.5)

Attendance: 136

In three competitive matches this year, there have now been five goals scored.

Two by our opponents.
Two by us for our opponents.
One by us for ourselves.

That about sums it up -- we really suck.

The ineptitude of passing and mind-numbingly stupid decision-making I've seen already exceeds anything I saw last year. I don't know what's wrong with these guys, but they better snap out of it quick. We aren't talented enough to dig ourselves a deep hole.

Groin strain for Sanchez, who will miss 4-5 weeks. Our midfield is now officially a medical ward. Four of them injured.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote