View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #2068
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Hoops,

I think the results write ups were really good. They also got better deeper into the game. They were great to read. I think the way night one was handled was pretty good from a balance perspective, considering the given rule set.

I like the secret roles in the sense people do not know what specialty roles will exist in the game. It allows for some creativity regarding reveals and strategy. I do think the roles should come from a “known list” or basically not be completely foreign to players. Basically, there may be a seer in the game or there may not, but everyone knows what a seer is. This may be completely a personal preference.

I’m not sure about the fact roles were not revealed upon death. It was certainly fun, but there seems to be a need for some things to be tangible in WW games in order to mechanically maintain a balanced game. If the good guys don’t know who or I should say what role was killed, it is not always possible to put the logic together. You basically have to go on post content alone. From what I can tell in reading about mafia/werewolf, post content is key, but role reveal is also key in validating post content as the game progresses.

By not having role reveals upon death and having a lynch percentage trigger, I think the favor goes to the ninja with both. The bodyguard was weakened severely with the one guard per player and blinded upon guarding a ninja. The seer was also weakened by allowing mentally strong saves and the ninja were given a seer too as an offset. The ninja having to make a conversion percentage was in favor of the Samurai and the Samurai did get a one time pk role (but the ninja had a brutal wolf). All said and done, I think the advantage with the rule set was with the ninja. A way to add some balance would be to make the bodyguard work the traditional way, let everyone know about the lynch percentage rule up front and remove the seer ability from the ninja.

Oh, it was a lot of fun to play. Probably my favorite one so far and I think everyone had a good time with this one. I don’t mean to be too critical of the rules, the Samurai did win. But one game is not a benchmark for play testing. I think if you played this same rule set several times, you would end up making some tweaks. I’m just guessing at what some good tweaks would be.

BTW, has anyone ever run a game on these boards with the serial killer role? It sounds like a bizarre option and I’m wondering if it adds to being an enjoyable game.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote