View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

News is about a month old, but I just found out about it. Unfortunately, Russell T Davies will be leaving the show. He was always great at writing the big, grandiose episodes- all 4 season finale multiparters, for instance. Some of the other episodes were ok, but the others more than made up for it. And Doctor Who needs a grand feel to it sometimes- I rewatched the season 2 finale with the Cybermen vs the Daleks on my DVR last night (since I accidentally taped all episodes of the show rather than all new) and it's positively brilliant in that regard.

Steven Moffett will be taking over as head writer. He's done some of the more memorable episodes but he's more of a horror writer who has few creative boundaries, which can be bad or good. If he can keep some of the continuity (doesn't have to be perfect- this is Doctor Who, after all) and the great homages to the old series, and, most importantly, the right feel to the show, lighthearted but grand- pop sci-fi, then great. He's only written 6 episodes but all have been very memorable- the first season 2 parter with the gas masked children, the girl in the fireplace, blink (the stone angels from last season), and the silence in the library 2 parter that just aired last week and this week.

As an aside, Silence in the Library is one of the best episodes I've seen but I haven't seen the 2nd part yet. Still on the DVR until a friend of ours gets a chance to come watch it with us tomorrow.

Also, Doctor Who will be taking a little hiatus so that David Tennant can go pursue other acting for a year. In the UK, there will be 4 specials next year and it will return in 2010. No clue here as it's still airing season 4. Then again, season 4 is still going over there and they are only about 4 weeks ahead of us.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote