View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #109
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I came across this today, which is quite interesting:

Homicide | Harvard Injury Control Research Center | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Of course it's nigh on impossible to get rid of guns in the US, but there is a definite linkage it seems.
I think "gun availability" is less of the issue, but culture isn't easily measured. I don't think guns are markedly harder to get in all of New England than they are in all of The South, but there's large cultural differences. There's a culture where guns are considered normal in the south, or the west, or in inner cities (even those up here like Roxbury, Springfield etc).

I don't think that makes us any less likely to have a school shooting because those are the acts of deranged individuals, but that list of "mass shootings" is a completely different animal. I only checked the first 2 Massachusetts ones, but I'm sure they'd all be the same areas - Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, Springfield, maybe Worcester or Lynn. Lumping those in with school or workplace shootings is a mistake imo, as is pretending that there's any statewide (let one national) law that will be effective for both.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote