View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #72
SportsDino
College Prospect

You can select any number of stocks and the vast majority are down right now. There is plenty of damage occurring, but I think the original game is to find ones that you assume will recover... not to time their bottom.

The only ones I have played in publicly:

FUN - Down, down, down... but like I said everyone is all in a panic, and they are considering cutting their dividend and they just made a massive acquisition (with a lot of debt). Probably will continue being red until they outright announce how much they are going to cut the dividend, and like GE there will be probably initial continued downsliding until people realize the yield of the new dividend is still reasonable, and it stabilizes. As for the debt, I think they'll survive it, and out the other side they have yet another park to increase their revenues. To me its a potential bouncer. I'm averaged at (11) in it.

WMT - Is up from my buy price (46.5), standard price shocks on every bit of market news, but enough realization that it is not going away anytime soon.

GE - Up from my averaged price (7.5??? not sure would have to go calc it). Granted I got in starting at 11. Again, another situation where the economic situation is dragging everything down, even the rumor of trouble in GE's financial units is enough to cause chaos. And the recent dividend cut was also factored into that drop. Again, the company is not going anywhere, and its another candidate for a recovery bounce.

I still advise against taking the advice of anyone on this board, especially me! However, you will have a hard time finding a portfolio that is not red at the moment. Also I've noticed a slight bias in my own news mongering that companies that are not acting like its the end of the world and are retaining jobs/growth options (or potentially preparing for expansion), are often getting punished by the market. Right now when things are dirt cheap is when you want companies buying up assets and other companies... I always laughed at the fools thinking they are doing a great job with mergers during the good times at companies bought for their peak value... its easy to look good when everyone is drinking the same kool-aid, but real business and growth often happens in the rough red, not in the gaudy green.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote