View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Icy
Pro Starter

Great! i'll be reading for sure and writing related stuff if it's is fine for you.

I love Granada, i have talked it a few times with my wife and if we ever decide to move away from Toledo (that i doubt) the chosen city would be Granada. We both have been there plenty of times and even my bachelors party was a full weekend there with 20 friends.

Granada has it all imho.

- Perfect location, 1 hour drive to the beach, 1 hour drive to the mountains and the best Sky station in Spain.

- An incredible old town for people who loves history as you do, full of medieval monuments including the amazing Alhambra, the cathedral, the Generalife gardens, etc with a nice mix of different cultures, you will notice it in the people, food etc.

- Great nightlife, Granada is a famous student's city, and of course it means that there are tons of bars, discos, pubs etc to party until the morning, also Spain has way more relaxed laws about alcohol and night parties than USA. You will probably attend to gypsy/flamenco dancing and singing spectacles, i'm not into that at all, but it's the typical from the south of Spain so you should at least watch one to see if you like it.

- The best place in Spain for "tapas". Soon you will learn the best areas where to eat tons of different tapas for free, you pay the drinks and the tapas are free. When i went there for my bachelors party, we went to a bar that offered a different free tapa with every drink. I can tell you that we drank a good amount of beers those days and never received the same tapa. For that weekend, we didn't expend anything on food, just on drinks and ate the free and great tapas. If you haven't tasted it yet, you will love the Spanish "Jamon Serrano" (country ham?) and the "gazpacho" (kind of cold tomato soup). At the tea shops, you can drink and taste Islamic food, like iced mint tea and all kind of exotic cakes made of almonds and honey.

Btw, get ready for 106F at the end of August, it's being a hot summer here in Spain.

Ask if you have any question about the city or the Spanish popular culture, etiquete, etc etc as i know it's something really different fom one country to another and could lead to fun or embarrassing situations.

For example, something that i have seen embarrassing other foreign students the first time they come to Spain is the way you salute a person from a different gender. When you are introduced to women, it's typical to kiss twice, once on each side of the face, not a big kiss, just like touching her face with yours (unless if it's an old person, in that case only hand shaking is used). That double kissing is used every time you meet a friend (women). Between men, a handshake is the usual. Spanish people is more used to physical contact than other Europeans or North Americans.

I'll be reading with high interest, fell free to ask anything you want to know

Here you got some pics:

Alhambra:

Generalife:

Last edited by Icy : 08-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote