View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Ah, one question that springs to mind. Since I don't know enough Spanish to be able to read books or watch movies in the native language, are there bookstores with English language texts or films, either voiced or subtitled in Granada? Granted, I intend to speak as little English there as possible, but I love books and movies and hope to read and see as much there that I can't in the US as possible.

Not so good news, everything is translated here to Spanish and no English subtitles are used. For example at he cinema, all the movies are translated to Spanish, same in TV.

The only way to watch English or subtitled stuff is if you buy/rent DVD's, as all them come with at least voices and subtitles in English, German, French and Spanish (most releases are common for all the European countries). Also if the place where you will live has satellite TV, you can watch some English channels, like BBC, CNN and Eurosports. Another thing, USA movies DVD's are released here 1 or 2 months later than in USA.

About books, the small shops only have Spanish ones or English tourists guides, but as Granada is a student's and tourists city, there must have been for sure some bigger book shops with English books apart from tourism guides. You have always also the option to buy online, Amazon UK ships to Spain (i have purchased English books there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I know summers in Andalusia are hot, but how are the fall and winter, say September, October, November and December? I'm trying to figure out what to pack for clothes and I've heard that darker, more conservative clothing is the norm, but I don't know if that applies to the younger generation as well or not.

Andalusia is warm the whole year, but Granada is the exception as one of the higher mountains in Spain is close, so the temperature variation is extreme between Winter and Summer, from up to 106F on Summer to down to 30F on Winter. Its the same where i live in Toledo, we say that we only have summer or winter here, no spring/fall. Raining is very rare, it's always sunny.

About the dark conservative clothes... I would say the opposite for Granada. Have on mind it's a multicultural city, with big influences from the Islam and the huge amount of tourist, and you know how colorful they dress. Also as an students city, full of young people, it has a big mix of casual urban fashion. You will see a lot of grunge/hippie dressing people there between the students.

Last edited by Icy : 08-02-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote