View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #151
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DALY VISITS COLORADO ROCKIES
DENVER – Feeling a lot like a “free agent”, former Yankees GM D.C. Daly visited the Colorado Rockies, after the team invited him to Coors Field to get an introduction to the team and their philosophy.

“We’re going to throw our hat in the ring. We might get all of that east coast exposure that he’s used to back in Boston, but we’re trying to build a winner out here.”

The Rockies last made the playoffs in 1998 and won their only World Series in 1978.

The team’s leader is outfielder Javier Rubio, who at 31 has spent his entire career in Denver. He hit 35 HRs last year with 104 RBI. The team also features a familiar face for D.C. in Luis Manuel Morales who spent two years in Boston before being dealt last off-season to the Rockies. He went 12-14 last year with a 4.36 ERA.

For his part, D.C. said he appreciated the invite to Denver and said he’d be in California later this week. “It’s a great ballpark out here and the team seems to be well supported.”

DODGERS ATTEMPT TO WOO DALY TO LA
LOS ANGELES – Dodgertown was the site for a visit from former Yankees GM D.C. Daly, who visited the Los Angeles Dodgers today. With the crosstown Angels winning the World Series this past year over D.C.’s Yankees, the Dodgers are trying to claw their way back into relevance in the city. The team has just five playoff appearances since 1969, but two of those were within the past five years.

The team doesn’t boast a ton of talent, its best player is probably 23-year old outfielder Stephen Woodward who had a breakout year in 2003 hitting 38 HR and 134 RBI on .278 hitting.

But the team beliefs that with D.C. at the helm , they can get better faster than ever.

“We’re excited about the opportunity to have him here. The Dodgers franchise is a proud name in sports and we believe that with a guy D.C. calling the shots, we can propel that brand back to prominence again.”

Daly, for his part, said he wasn’t sure what his plans were. That he’d take some time to “figure out what I want to do and just make sure that if I do something else, that it’s really what I want and that I’m not just rushing back out there. But I’m too competitive to sit still for too much longer.”
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote