View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

D.C. TO PURCHASE AL'S WORCESTER FRANCHISE
WORCESTER, MA - After almost two years away from the game, it seems that D.C. Daly is ready to come back. But this time, the only person he's answering to is himself.

The 30-year old baseball exec who has already help build two New England clubs and took them to the World Series has a far more daunting task ahead of him as the new primary owner of the Worcester Browns of the new American League.

"I've always wanted to own my own team. I can't tell you how exciting it is that I get to do this, especially at my age. It's a childhood dream come true, but it won't be complete until we're someday playing on the biggest stage possible," said Daly about the acquisition.

He formed a partnership with several of his contacts from his days with the Boston Yankees and with those minority owners backing him, was able to put his own money up to buy the team. He reminds people that he went to college for economics, not baseball.

"Let's just say I know how to save a penny when I need to."

With just four months until the American League season begins, D.C. expects to dive right in.

"The best part of this, is that I get to combine my love for player development and talent, with being able to do something sustainable. I can't wait."

2006 CHANGES
Just so you know, the AL has effectively eliminated its cash maximum. Here's why. In theory, the AL teams could get rich and fat simply selling off their best players to leagues above them. The main difference as I see it between the National League and the American League for the purposes of this game, is that the NL is a competitive league with teams all gunning for the next level. Whereas, AL teams are split down the middle. Half are player development factories that have no intention of 'trying' to make it to the majors, with the others trying to develop young players with some veterans to get in while their window allows for it.

In 2006, the AL isn't eligible for promotion to the NL and so, it'll just be a 'test run' season to see what the new league is all about.

The salary cap is $15 million this year. In the NL it's $20 million and the winner of the NLCS will receive automatic promotion to the CL for 2007, with the worst CL team being demoted.

The salary cap in the CL this year is $50 million.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote