View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #52
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Seventh Season 2009-2010

Just how much is ‘Bama struggling in the men’s hoops world? Just compare the Tide’s vitals with College of Charleston, the Southern Conference program Victory left after four seasons.

Prestige Points (1-100, higher is better): Alabama 34, Charleston 41 (up 10 points during Victory’s tenure)
Freshman Talent Level: Alabama – awful, Charleston – good
Overall Talent: Alabama – awful, Charleston solid
Game Challenge: Alabama – brutal; Charleston – normal
2008-09 Record: Alabama 9-21, Charleston 20-13
Last 4 Years: Alabama 36-83, Charleston 81-45
NCT Appearances Last 4 Years: Alabama 0, Charleston 2
ACT Appearances Last 4 Years: Alabama 0, Charleston 1

“I’d love to say we’re going to come in and win right away,” Victory tells the Alabama press. “But I don’t foresee that happening in this case. There is just too much ground to be made up.”

But make no mistake, Victory does have ambitious plans for this program. He’s warming to the idea that his may be his last stop as a coach...

“I’d like to be the first coach to hang an NCT championship banner in Coleman Coliseum,” he says boldly. “And I’d like to do it within the decade (actually within nine seasons if you’re keeping score on his 15-year quest).”

“This season, I’d like us to play .500 ball, and I’m most interested in getting a Top 20 recruiting class to come to Tuscaloosa,” Victory says. “I’d like us to finish out of the cellar in the SEC, swipe at least one tournament victory and beat Auburn every time we face them. If we get to the ACT or NCT, that’s just icing on the cake.”

Within three or four seasons, Victory wants ‘Bama in the SEC title hunt and wants the team to become a regular in the NCT.

Of course, all that depends on getting the elite players to come to Alabama, something Victory did an above-average job of during his other two coaching stops. The early recruiting trail proves tough at his new gig, however.

Numerous conversations with prospects go something like this: “I’d dig a chance to play in the SEC, but I don’t think Alabama is the right situation for me.” Translated – if you were Florida or Kentucky I’d be drooling. But you suck, so I’m outta here.

One recruit even wonders aloud: “Is Alabama in Division I? I thought it was a Division II program or something.” Ouch…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote