View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #314
Radii
Head Coach

March 14, 2013 – MAC Quarterfinals

Ohio (16-13, 9-7 MAC) vs Toledo (19-9, 11-5 MAC)

In our only matchup this season Toledo led by 11 with under 5 minutes to go and we came storming back, forcing overtime, and winning easily in OT. They rate 76 OVR (73 off/79 def/74 sht/82 reb). We had long stretches where we struggled to score against them in the first meeting.

Scouting

PG Mychal Beckwith – SR – 75 OVR – 84 from 3, an outstanding 3 point threat. Only average speed, Good defense(83), below average ball handler for a PG (79) but a very good passer (86). He's great off the dribble(84) and can create his own shot. Leads the team with 14.6 ppg this year, also 5.5 assists.

SG Doron Jacobson – SR – 73 OVR – Very good defender(85), pretty good steals guy(78), pretty good passer for a SG too(73). Outstanding midrange shot (80) but not a 3 point shooter (63). 7.6 ppg.

SF Sammy Urbina – SR – 77 OVR – 6'6”, Solid rebounder (82 drb), only average on defense and not a great ball handler. Good speed for a SF (84 spd/85 quick). Good athlete, good dunker with a great vertical(82). He's not a great shooter, 80 close/72 med/62 3. 14.1 ppg, he's finding a way to get his points this year.

PF Tim Krymski – FR – 71 OVR – 6'6”, a natural SF. Terrible rebounder and post player. He's got a good midrange jumper(76) but not a 3 and not good in close or in traffic. Krymski looks terribly out of place as a PF. If they play man to man I'm going to be getting Delic very involved. 7.0 ppg so far this year.

C BJ Janiszewski – SR – 59 OVR – 6'10, that's about all you can say about him. Actually he's rated 77 in post defense which is as good as many of our guys. But he is awful on the boards and is not a scorer at all. 5.4 ppg.

In the first meeting Beckwith burned us for 25, Urbina for 18. The inside guys were not much of a threat. Massey and Cooper each had 20+ for us. This was back when Massey could score.

Half
Time
OHIO
TOL
Notes
14:55
Good start, Sessoms is doing great with 6 early points, Massey has hit a 3, and Delic has a bucket inside. We do have 3 fouls and they 4 early on.
12:40
Massey with his 2nd 3, Sessoms has 8 now. Backups come in with a Toledo timeout.
7:40
This is one of those stretches I mentioned pregame where we just cannot buy a bucket. We call a timeout after a blocked shot sends their crowd into a frenzy.
6:15
Starters are coming back in. We now trail by 2. Our backups went 6:30 and didn't score a single point.
5:55
A lufkin 3 point play opportunity ties the game up. Unfortunately, he misses the free throw.

HALF
Its close the rest of the half, Cooper gets 5 points in the final 30 seconds to push us out to a 7 point lead. Jacobson leads them with 9, Beckwith has 7. Urbina is scoreless, he picked up 2 fouls 4 minutes in. I had not even noticed.

Massey leads us with 11, and he is 3-4 from 3 point range, which is great to see. Sessoms has 10 points/6 boards and is giving us a great game inside. Cooper has 7, Delic 6. Zero points from our bench.
19:15
They score the first 3 of the half, getting the crowd going in their favor with a steal leading to a fast break foul by Massey. We do get a good result on our end as Delic draws the 3rd foul on Janiszewski.
16:55
A 3 by Cooper, a bucket by Delic and a steal off the press giving Cooper a layup and we've got a 10 point lead.
13:15
A 3 point play for sessoms pushes our lead to 12, our biggest margin yet.
12:40
Backups are in.
11:00
Danelius hits a hook shot on the right block, the first points scored by our backups today.
5:40
They go on a 13-3 run, as once again our backups simply cannot make a basket. They get a 3 point play, a 3, and some other scores to get right back in it. Danelius scores all 5 of our backups points as Lamkin and Flowers are both 100% ineffective. Starters are back in to try to keep us ahead.
3:30
Delic scores to put us back up 4. Cooper misses a wide open 3 that could have put us up 7. They miss a wide open 3 that could have cut the lead down. We just put them on the FT line where they made 1 of 2 to make it a 3 point game. They are shooting 1 and 1's now, we've got 8 fouls
3:00
Massey misses an open 3, they get out on the break and get a 3 point play on a foul from Lufkin. Tie game.
2:45
Sessoms tries to kick it to the corner for Lufkin, but Lufkin steps out while pivoting. Toledo burns a timeout. Their ball.
2:25
Cooper gets a steal as Jacobson tries to drive around him to the basket. Lufkin draws a foul on the offensive end and makes both his free throws to put us up 2. Toledo with another timeout.
1:40
They get a bucket from Urbina to tie it. Massey gets into the middle of their 3-2 zone and takes a wide open 15 foot jumper... brick off the left side of the rim. They push the ball down court and Beckwith makes a 3 pointer. We call a timeout, down 3.
1:30
We find sessoms inside, he draws a foul and hits both free throws.
1:07
Sessoms fouls Janiszewski in deep. He misses the first, and the second! Delic rebounds.
0:37
We work it around the perimeter, Massey has 2 open looks for 3 but I'm just too gunshy with him now, I'm not taking that shot in this clutch situation. I get it into Delic, they doubleteam, he finds Cooper in the corner and the 3 is GOOD!
0:25
NO NO NO NO. Massey with a reach in on Beckwith. God you just cannot foul like that. He makes the first...and the second.

0:00
I decide to go inside for the last shot. With about 5 seconds left I get it to Delic in the hole in their zone. He attacks the basket, and his shot is blocked. We go to overtime.
OT
4:00
After we each fail to score on our first possessions, they go into a 2-3 zone. I go inside out with Sessoms and Cooper, and Cooper drains another 3!
OT
3:30
They miss a 3 after a good defensive sequence, but they get the board, and Sessoms commits his 4th foul as Janiszewski goes back up with it. Luckily he's awful at the line, he does make 1-2 this time.
OT
2:15
We throw the ball away on our end and Krymski ties it up with a good move in deep in the post. I go inside to Delic who draws a foul, but he misses both free throws. Luckily Lufkin finds a way to get the board, and kicks it out to Massey, who attacks the basket before their defense is set. He also draws a foul and makes them both.
OT
1:00
Each team gets two stops, Cooper just missed a wide open 3 on our end, and they grabbed the board. It's Toledo's ball, down 2, with a minute left.
OT
0:56
They push it up the floor after the miss and Krymski hits a leaner over Massey in transition. Tie game. We get the ball to half court and call a timeout.
OT
0:30
I want a quick shot to get a 2 for 1 here, but Sessoms cannot put it in down low. They take a quick shot on their end and its pretty much a mirror of our play, Krymski misses a little shot down low. We can hold for the last shot now.
OT
0:15
Just like Massey on our end in regulation, they commit a terribly stupid reachin foul with 15 seconds left. They have less fouls than us though and this is just a 1 and 1. Massey makes the first...and the second! We're up 2, 15 seconds left.

Urbina takes a 3 and he just had a very poor day, missing two decent looks in clutch situations. Sessoms grabs the board, he gets fouled, and makes both his free throws to seal the win!!

Ohio 73
Toledo 69
OT

Two games vs Toledo this season, two very hardfought overtime victories.

Jacobson led them with 16, Beckwith had 14, Urbina was just 1-9 and had 3 points. Compared to our previous game where Beckwith had 25 and Urbina 18, most of that in the 2nd half and OT, we did an outstanding job on defense today.

Sessoms earns player of the game honors for the 2nd straight game in the tournament.

Massey: 15 points/4 assists (3-5 from 3, hooray!)
Cooper: 19 points
Lufkin: 4 points/4 assists
Delic: 11 points/9 boards/4 assists
Sessoms: 19 points/14 boards/2 blocked shots

Danelius 5 points

That is 100% of our scoring. No one else coming off the bench did anything at all for us

We've upset the 1 seed in the MAC Tournament!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote