View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #326
Radii
Head Coach

Offseason Recruiting

We have 3 scholarship offers and haven't filled any yet. We have two needs, both fairly critical. We need a PG, and we need a big man. The big man isn't likely to be a factor next season but will help with the severe depth problems we'll suffer when Sessoms, Danelius and Delic all leave next year.

A decent PG would backup Flowers this year and start for 3 seasons ideally.

So we have two offers out:

PG Michel Murphy - #179 OVR/#55 PG. He's from Michigan and seems to want to go to Detroit, but they haven't made him an offer. We have, and hopefully he'll come here. We have him at 100%

C JR Keller - #424 OVR/#26 center - Keller is from California. We have him at 99% so he won't sign right away. No one else is after him, Nevada and Saint Mary's woudl have a good shot if they jump on him. Hopefully we can pull him in week 2.

A 3rd scholarship opened up with Dahi transferring. I'll have to scout around for that.

We have a backup target at each position... but only one. Things are pretty damn thin here, hopefully we get our two guys, but if we don't this could get really bad.

Opening Signing Day

PG Michel Murphy signs with us! The PG is the most important of the two so I'm very pleased with this. More on Murphy when we summarize recruiting later on.

Our backup PG target, R Parsons(another guy with just a letter for a first name...) signs with MAC rival Kent State.

Our backup C target, Marin O'Sullivan, signs with Central Michigan.

I really only see one suitable target for my 3rd scholarship, a PG from Dallas named David Mendoza, #183 overall/#58 PG. I go ahead and offer him now, he's only at 63% but he doesn't have any other offers.

End of Week 1

Center JR Keller signs with OHIO! Even if we don't fill this 3rd scholarship this gives us our two top targets and fills the positions we needed filling.

I find a JC SF that I might have some interest in as well. With House likely redshirting next season, I would likely end up using a SG to backup Lufkin, and that'll probably be fine. But I'd have a use for a serviceable small forward as well.

End of Week 3

So much for the SF. PG David Mendoza signs with OHIO. That completes our recruiting class for this season. I have some juniors, almost all big men, that i'm working a bit on, and i continue to call them in the final couple weeks.

Recruiting Class Summary

3* PG Michel Murphy - #179 OVR/#55 PG

6'1" 179 lbs out of Rochester Hills, MI

Shooting: A-
Skills: B+
Defense: B+
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: C+
Intelligence: C+
Potential: B
Size: C+

Murphy did not play in the ABL.

I don't know if there is any reliability at all given my level of scouting to the individual scouted grades. We have him as a good defender and an above average shooter. A poor ball handler, which will be interesting to see if that is true.

3* C JR Keller - #424 OVR / #26 C

6'10" 206 lbs out of Fremont, CA

Shooting: C+
Skills: C+
Defense: B
Athleticism: C+
Rebounding: B+
Intelligence: B-
Potential: B+
Size: A-

I primarily went after Keller because of his ABL stats. 14.4 ppg/11.8 rpg. 47% shooter.

We scout his individual grades out to be an average rebounder, above average post skills, espicially on offense, and an above average close range shooter. Again, we'll see.

PG David Mendoza - #183 OVR / #58 PG

6'2" 171 lbs out of Dallas, TX

Shooting: B+
Skills: A-
Defense: A-
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: C
Intelligence: B-
Potential: B-
Size: C+

Mendoza averaged 8 points and 4 assists a game in the ABL. He was a godawful shooter, 26% from the field. We show him as an above average defender, a good steals guy with an above average jumper and ball handling skills.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote