View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #333
Radii
Head Coach

November 8, 2013

Ohio (0-0) vs Wisconsin-Green Bay(0-0)

We open the season against a fellow mid-major from the Horizon league. They are rated 77 OVR (77 off/77 def/78 sht/81 reb). They are an upperclassmen led team, starting 3 juniors and 2 seniors, all rated between 69 and 73 OVR. They have pretty good depth, going 10 deep with guys rated above 60 OVR, most of them 65+

Scouting

Their best player is SF Delvon Hogan, 83 close/82 med, 88 in traffic. He isn't a great defender and isn't a speedster or ball handler, but he'll be dangerous on offense anyway.

They dont' have anyone rated higher than 70 from 3, and they only have one defender rated over 80(their SG Reginald Tinsley).

Center Gerry Price (70 OVR) is a threat in the post, with a 81 post offense/88 close range shot. I'm not sure how that reconciles with an awful shooting in traffic rating (79), we'll see. He's 6'11” and a good rebounder.

Our team unity starts this year at 44. A lot of their juniors must be new starters, as they only have a 44 unity as well.

Half
Time
OHIO
UWGB
Notes
12:40
As always in our opening few games, we're feeling things out on offense. House has 5 points and 3 assists so far which is nice. Sessoms and Delic each with two post baskets. Murphy's first shot, a drive in transition, was blocked. Backups are in.
11:45
Keller becomes the first of my 3 freshmen to score their first points, going 2-2 at the line after drawing a foul.
5:30
We get a 3 from Mendoza and four from Keller. Lamkin sinks a 3 and Watson gets a bucket in low too, good balanced scoring, but the defense leaves something to be desired. Starters are back.
4:40
House with a bucket inside, Murphy gets on the board for the first time with a 3 pointer, and UW Green Bay calls a timeout.
4:30
Sessoms picks up foul #2. Good excuse to get Keller some more minutes.

HALF
Its actually close because we've let them go to the line too much. Its usually the other way around. They're 12-16 from the line. They dont have anyone with more than 6 points, just a lot of balance out there. They're shooting 44% from the floor, only 1-4 from 3, they push it inside a lot.

We're 7-10 from the line so not too shabby. We're also 4-7 from 3, and 16-31 from the field, a great start. House is showing no rust at all from his injury, he has 12 points and has been everywhere. He has a 3, a putback, a transition basket and a MONSTER reverse jam coming off a screen down low with Delic. Cooper has 6, mostly from the line from driving to the basket. Keller has 6 as well.

I'd be ahead by a lot more but I got excited when Murphy made his first 3 and rushed a couple shots with him, costing us a few possessions.
15:20
House still in control, he's got 4 more for us this half. Cooper has a couple as well. Murphy is looking a little slow and a bit of a liability in transition. He's failed to score on a couple breaks where Flowers picks up an easy 2 nearly every time.
12:20
I bring in my '3rd rotation', my other backup set that gets Flowers and Danelius some playing time.
12:00
Lamkin drains a 3 and they call a timeout.
8:45
Lufkin with our last 5 points straight to push the lead up to 17.
6:10
Starters come back in to finish out the game.

They never get closer than 11 as we easily finish off the win in our opener. They made it 74-63 with 2 minutes to go, and we got two steals in a row, both leading to absolute monster windmill type dunks from House in transition that ended any hope they had of coming back. The first one got the crowd going in a frenzy, he's even more athletic than I remember him being when he got hurt last year.

Ohio 78
UW-Green Bay 66

We shoot 51% and hold them to 39% from the floor. Our bench put up 27 points, which makes me extremely happy.

Their best player, Hogan, was held to 6 points on 3-12 shooting. Their SG Tinsley ended up making 4 3's and scoring 19 points, their only double figure scorer.

Murphy: 3 points/3 boards/4 assists (1-10 shooting, 1-5 from 3 and he missed a couple midrange jumpers and had 3 different drive to the basket attempts blocked)
Cooper: 13 points
House: 22 points/3 assists
Delic: 7 points/6 boards
Sessoms: 6 points/8 boards

Keller: 6 points
Lamkin: 6 points
Lufkin: 5 points
Watson: 4 points/4 boards
Mendoza: 3 points

The only negative thing I can find to say today is that Murphy was awful driving to the basket. I will have to figure out how to best use him, his defense(which is rated noticibly higher than Flowers or Mendoza) will make me hesitant to make a change.

I'm extremely happy with how the game flows with these guys. We'll find out soon enough whether this was just a good matchup or if we are going to be a legit contender among mid-major schools. I have high hopes.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote