View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #163
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That wasn’t the answer Alzar was looking for, but that does not end the mystery of the Detect Magic spell either. Time to change this up a notch.

Alzar grabs an oil flask and pours and smears oil all over the figurehead. Let’s gamble.

Alzar grabs a torch from the docks and returns. “I will light this on fire unless you come out!”

Within a few seconds, the creature has emerged from the figurehead. As Alzar looks at it in the light, there is a sort of resemblance in the stretches face of the creature and the figurehead. Probably another tragic death ending in undeath. It’s an old story. Alzar casts Speak with Dead.

Alzar asks if this is his body. The creature says yes. Alzar asks if he was tragically killed. He says yes. Alzars asks if there is any way to put the spirit at rest beside killing him or destroying it. He says no. Alzar asks if he wants to die. He says no.

All questions asked.

So now Alzar has a choice. Kill it, or destroy the figurehead, or let it stay alive. If Alzar could have controlled it, this would have gone a lot more smoothly. Alzar tells it, I will kill you. It nods, and then attacks.

Alzar throws his +2 throwing dagger at it before it gets too close. That’s at -2 because of the weapons penalty. It nails the creature for 6 damage – max damage. Nicely done.

It arrives. It attacks and Alzar takes 2 damage and loses a point of Dexterity. This really is a beautiful creature, he sighs. Alzar unsheathes a dagger, +1 and swings. A hit (rolled a 19). Deals 4 damage to it. It hits for 5 damage and an extra 4 from the touch. Alzar swings and misses. It misses. It finally wins init and hits for 3, but causes no loss. Alzar misses. It misses. Alzar misses. It hits for 4 damage and a loss of constitution. Alzar hits for 3 damage (minimum – yuck). It misses. It hit for 3 and a str loss. Alzar fumbles and drops the dagger. It misse.s Alzar hits after picking it back up – 5 damage. It misses, Alzar misses. Alzar missies, it hits for 4 and a con loss. Alzar nails it and it dies. Alzar gains all lost sats back.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote