Thread: 2018 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #383
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Did anyone see Olbermann's report on the statistical analysis on shifts? It actually increases offensive output.

The real problem is, the type of offensive output that it increases - walks and HRs. If part of the issue is the lack of action (balls in play and on-field action), then there's an argument for doing something about shifts. If the argument is that shifts are stifling offense, that's technically not true. The more drastic the shift alignment, the higher the offensive output.

Baseball's issue is that statistical analysis has proven that hitting the ball in the air is the better strategy because it increases HRs. This is essentially the equivalent to basketball moving to an extreme 3-point strategy. Hitting the ball on the ground is the equivalent to low post play. You don't score as much per possession/AB as if you throw up a bunch of 3s/hit the ball in the air.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote